[mpich-discuss] man mpich-3.0.4

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 29 09:45:14 CDT 2013

On Sep 28, 2013, at 10:30 PM, Jeff Hammond wrote:

>>> I struggled with this just the other day.  I could not get the build system to install the man pages despite many attempts.  I gave up and just did a manual install by copying the man subdirectory of the source into my install directory.
>>
>> Did you build the manpages?  They are not built by default in the git version.  In the release tarball, they should be available and installable to any location with --manpage=.
>
> Why doesn't "make doc" or "make man" lead to the building of the man
> pages?  The configure --help output clearly indicates that there is a
> default path for the man pages already so I do not know why I need to
> provide this to make it work.

The target is "make mandoc".  And yes, if you don't specify --manpage, it'll put it in your prefix path by default.  You only need to provide the additional --manpage information if you want to install it in a different location.  You never have to copy it manually.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji