[mpich-discuss] How to use MPI on two computers

Lu, Huiwei huiweilu at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 24 08:19:18 CDT 2014

The easiest way of installing MPI on Ubuntu is by ‘sudo apt-get install mpich’.
As long as these two machines can ssh to each other, MPI can be used to connect them.
To use multiple machines, you need to create a machine file like:
	//machinefile:
	hostnameA
	hostnameB
Then if you run MPI using ‘mpiexec -f machinefile -n 2 ./example/cpi’, the application ‘cpi’ will run on both machines and communication through MPI.

For more details, please refer to https://www.mpich.org/static/downloads/3.1/mpich-3.1-userguide.pdf for more information.

—
Huiwei Lu
Postdoc Appointee
Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~huiweilu/