[mpich-discuss] jumpshot memory requirements

Martin, Eileen Rose martin243 at llnl.gov
Wed Aug 13 13:18:12 CDT 2014

Hi,
I am trying to profile some code with Tau on a single node with 12 threads on an X86 machine. I am able to view the PAPI counter results with paraprof without any problems. However, when I follow these directions (https://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tau/docs/old/bk01ch04s03.html) , then try to open the tau.slog2 file (which is 814MB) with Jumpshot to view the timeline, I am only able to view the main and legend windows, then I get a bunch of errors saying it’s out of memory in the Java heap (see errors below). When I run Jumpshot, I am grabbing a whole node that has 24 GB of memory available, which I think should be enough. About how much memory should I expect Jumpshot to require on a slog2 file that is just under 1 GB?
Thank you,
Eileen Martin

Here’s an example of the errors I am getting, in case you recognize these (I get the same errors for other threads):

slog_ins.tZoomFtr = 2.0

Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at base.drawable.InfoBox.resolveCategory(InfoBox.java:103)

at logformat.slog2.BufForDrawables.readObject(BufForDrawables.java:249)

at logformat.slog2.input.TreeNode.readObject(TreeNode.java:137)

at logformat.slog2.input.TreeNode.<init>(TreeNode.java:130)

at logformat.slog2.input.InputLog.readTreeNode(InputLog.java:327)

at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growChildren(TreeTrunk.java:138)

at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growChildren(TreeTrunk.java:147)

at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growChildren(TreeTrunk.java:147)

at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growInTreeWindow(TreeTrunk.java:110)

at viewer.timelines.CanvasTimeline.<init>(CanvasTimeline.java:113)

at viewer.timelines.TimelinePanel.<init>(TimelinePanel.java:167)

at viewer.timelines.TimelineFrame.<init>(TimelineFrame.java:37)

at viewer.first.LogFileOperations$1.construct(LogFileOperations.java:238)

at viewer.common.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:109)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:682)