[mpich-discuss] jumpshot memory requirements

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 13 13:36:44 CDT 2014

On 08/13/2014 01:30 PM, Bland, Wesley B. wrote:
> I think you might have sent this message to the wrong list. This list is
> for discussing MPICH. For Tau/Jumpshot questions, you should probably
> contact them.

Wes, there's no "jumpshot" list.  Never has been.  Used to be, Anthony
Chan would chime in on this list... He's not around but I'll try to fill
in best I can.

The original poster is running into a limitation not of system memory,
but of Java itself.

In order to bump up the Java heap, there are some flags you can pass:
     -Xms<size>        set initial Java heap size
     -Xmx<size>        set maximum Java heap size
     -Xss<size>        set java thread stack size

for example --

$ JVMFLAGS="-Xms512m -Xmx2048m"  ~/work/soft/mpich2/bin/jumpshot
coll_perf.slog2

Though you might want to make these values even larger.

It's true, Jumpshot is a memory hog. Good luck.

==rob

>> On Aug 13, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Martin, Eileen Rose <martin243 at llnl.gov
>> <mailto:martin243 at llnl.gov>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to profile some code with Tau on a single node with 12
>> threads on an X86 machine. I am able to view the PAPI counter results
>> with paraprof without any problems. However, when I follow these
>> directions
>> (https://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tau/docs/old/bk01ch04s03.html) ,
>> then try to open the tau.slog2 file (which is 814MB) with Jumpshot to
>> view the timeline, I am only able to view the main and legend windows,
>> then I get a bunch of errors saying it’s out of memory in the Java
>> heap (see errors below). When I run Jumpshot, I am grabbing a whole
>> node that has 24 GB of memory available, which I think should be
>> enough. About how much memory should I expect Jumpshot to require on a
>> slog2 file that is just under 1 GB?
>> Thank you,
>> Eileen Martin
>>

>> Here’s an example of the errors I am getting, in case you recognize
>> these (I get the same errors for other threads):
>>
>> slog_ins.tZoomFtr = 2.0
>> Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>> at base.drawable.InfoBox.resolveCategory(InfoBox.java:103)
>> at logformat.slog2.BufForDrawables.readObject(BufForDrawables.java:249)
>> at logformat.slog2.input.TreeNode.readObject(TreeNode.java:137)
>> at logformat.slog2.input.TreeNode.<init>(TreeNode.java:130)
>> at logformat.slog2.input.InputLog.readTreeNode(InputLog.java:327)
>> at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growChildren(TreeTrunk.java:138)
>> at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growChildren(TreeTrunk.java:147)
>> at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growChildren(TreeTrunk.java:147)
>> at logformat.slog2.input.TreeTrunk.growInTreeWindow(TreeTrunk.java:110)
>> at viewer.timelines.CanvasTimeline.<init>(CanvasTimeline.java:113)
>> at viewer.timelines.TimelinePanel.<init>(TimelinePanel.java:167)
>> at viewer.timelines.TimelineFrame.<init>(TimelineFrame.java:37)
>> at viewer.first.LogFileOperations$1.construct(LogFileOperations.java:238)
>> at viewer.common.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:109)

Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA