[mpich-discuss] MPICH make clean requires sudo and mucks with DESTDIR

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 21 20:16:06 CDT 2014

In the root Makefile is

# we can only have one clean-local, so we hook into it via conditionally
# defined variables in the dependencies section
clean-local: $(CLEAN_LOCAL_TARGETS)
	rm -f ${DESTDIR}${bindir}/mpic++

I do not see how this could be correct, since

1) mucking with DESTDIR would require sudo for some configurations and make clean shouldn’t require sudo

2) should make clean muck with DESTDIR anyways?

When I run make clean after a make install I do get an permissions error in trying to remove that link.

  Barry