[mpich-discuss] MPE Profiling?

James jamesqf at charter.net
Fri Aug 22 15:47:41 CDT 2014

Hi,

(Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but all the links
on the MPE page seem to redirect to MPICH.)

I am trying to build the MPE profiling libraries to work with MPICH.
However, I am getting about a thousand lines of compile error messages,
because some MPE routines use K&R-style function declarations, which
don't match up with the prototypes in mpi.h

00106 log_mpi_core.c: In function 'MPI_Allgather':
00107 log_mpi_core.c:1550:8: error: argument 'sendbuf' doesn't match
prototype
00108  void * sendbuf;
00109         ^
00110 In file included from log_mpi_core.c:10:0:
00111 /opt/mpich/include/mpi.h:1002:5: error: prototype declaration
00112  int MPI_Allgather(const void *sendbuf, int sendcount, MPI_Datatype
sendtype, void *recvbuf,
00113      ^

Before I go and try to fix all these myself, could I ask 1) Has it
already been done somewhere? or 2) Has it not been done because there's
now something better than MPE for tracing/profiling?

To be clear, I'm not interested in profiling MPI itself, but what the
program is doing between calls to MPI routines.

Thanks,
James