[mpich-discuss] /lib/cpp fails sanity check

Laura Fowler ldfowler58 at icloud.com
Tue Dec 30 15:04:28 CST 2014

Hello:

I am trying to compile mpich2-1.5 using OS X 10.10.1 on my laptop. I installed gfortran-5.0 and gcc-5.0. I used the following configurations:

  export FC=/usr/local/bin/gfortran
  export F77=/usr/local/bin/gfortran
  export CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
  export CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++
  export CPP=/usr/local/bin/cpp
  export CXXCPP=/usr/local/bin/cpp

I ran sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mpich2-1.5-gfortran-5.0/ 2>&1 | sudo tee c.txt to install mpich2 in my /usr/local directory.

I got the following error message at the bottom of the c.txt file:

checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether c++ accepts -g... no
checking dependency style of c++... none
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: in `/usr/local/src/mpich2/mpich2-1.5':
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details

Also see attached config.log file. I do not understand where the error comes from and I need help figuring it out. Note that using the same configuration, I was able to completely install mpich-3.1.3, so I do not undertand where the configure crashes in this case. I hope that somebody can help me figure this out as I really need to use mpich2 and not mpich.

Thanks,
Laura

!  Laura D. Fowler
!  e-mail:  ldfowler58 at icloud.com