[mpich-discuss] ROMIO: path and filename length limit seems not verified

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 15 15:38:07 CST 2014

On 12/15/2014 12:40 PM, Eric Chamberland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just reported this to OpenMPI (http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2014/12/25997.php), but when trying with MPICH
> 3.1.3, valgrind reports problems too.
>
> Someone kindly proposed a patch, but since the code seems to be shared by both
> projects, I thought I should report it here too (or should I not?)

I check in with the open-mpi list from time to time, but I pay more
attention to mpich-discuss.  No harm in letting both lists know about
problems you find.

> With valgrind, we detect:
>
> 1-  two "Invalid read of size 1"
> 2- Warning: invalid file descriptor -1 in syscall read()
> 3- Syscall param writev(vector[...]) points to uninitialised byte(s)
>
> Setup to make this happens:

thanks for the test case.  Should be an easy fix, but I cannot get to it
right this moment: https://trac.mpich.org/projects/mpich/ticket/2212

==rob

> export
> too_long=./this/is/a_very/long/path/that/contains/a/not/so/long/filename/but/trying/to/collectively/mpi_file_open/it/you/will/have/a/memory/corruption/resulting/of/invalide/writing/or/reading/past/the/end/of/one/or/some/hidden/strings/in/mpio/Simple/user/would/like/to/have/the/parameter/checked/and/an/error/returned/or/this/limit/removed
>
> mkdir -p $too_long
> echo "hello world." > $too_long/toto.txt
>
> mpicc -o bug_MPI_File_open_path_too_long bug_MPI_File_open_path_too_long.c
>
> mpirun -np 2 valgrind ./bug_MPI_File_open_path_too_long  $too_long/toto.txt
>
> This particular simple case doesn't segfault without valgrind, but in as
> reported in my real case, it does!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Rob Latham