[mpich-discuss] Bug in MPI_WIN_SHARED_QUERY using MPICH-3.0.4 from Fortran95-code

Michael.Rachner at dlr.de Michael.Rachner at dlr.de
Mon Dec 15 04:21:07 CST 2014

Dear Junchao,

I attached a downsized  Fortran95 program for testing the MPI-3 shared memory feature (MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED, MPI_WIN_SHARED_QUERY).
You may add it to your MPICH test suite.
(The program is not secret, so I place it here for everybody, because it may serve also as an example, how to do the shared memory coding in a Ftn-code.)

In that program I have inserted 2 ad-hoc prints, just before and just after the call of sbr MPI_WIN_SHARED_QUERY,
which print the value of  the 4th-parameter DISP_UNIT (named   idisplace_unit   in the code)  of that sbr .

You can run the program by:
   mpif90 sharedmemtest.f90
   mpiexec -np 2 -bind-to core -prepend-rank ./a.out

On our LINUX cluster with MPICH-3.0.4 and Intel-14.0.1  the 2 print-stmts write this:

[0]  ---Info-print just BEFORE calling MPI_WIN_QUERY:  idisplace_unit=       -6666         <--  -6666 is my arbitrary initialization value
[0]  ===Info-print just AFTER calling MPI_WIN_QUERY:   idisplace_unit=       -6666
[1]  ---Info-print just BEFORE calling MPI_WIN_QUERY:  idisplace_unit=       -6666
[1]  ===Info-print just AFTER calling MPI_WIN_QUERY:   idisplace_unit=       -6666

You see, that sbr MPI_WIN_SHARED_QUERY does not overwrite the initialized value, but should do it.
I observed the same wrong behavior also in our Fortran95-CFD-code.

I cannot easily install another MPICH-version. We have only MPICH-3.0.4 . So, do you find that behavior with that program also with the most recent MPICH-version?

Greetings
Michael Rachner