[mpich-discuss] MPICH 3.1.3 installs potentially broken libtool .la files

Markus Geimer m.geimer at fz-juelich.de
Wed Dec 3 11:05:13 CST 2014

Dear MPICH developers,

I noticed that the installed '.la' files for MPICH's libraries include
two linker path ('-L') specifications in the 'dependency_libs' line
referring to the directory where MPICH was built:

    dependency_libs=' -L<builddir>/src/mpl -L<builddir>/src/openpa/src \
                      -lrt -lpthread'

In the past, I ran into link failures with specifying non-existent
directories when using the gold linker, though I'm currently not able
to reproduce this with a minimal example. In any case, pointing to
the build directory in an '.la' file generally seems like a bad idea.

As a fix, I propose to only add the '-L' entries to 'external_ldflags'
(Makefile.am, line 51) if external MPL and/or OpenPA libraries are
used. Using the internal copies is already taken care of by adding
the corresponding local '.la' files to 'pmpi_convenience_libs'.

Thanks,
Markus

--
Dr. Markus Geimer