[mpich-discuss] [petsc-maint] updated to 3.4.3 and mpiexec jobs no longer run in background

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Feb 9 15:18:32 CST 2014

Edward Bueler <elbueler at alaska.edu> writes:

> One more thing, to further clarify that I am not doing something obviously
> wrong.  Here is what I see about my mpiexec.

I can reproduce this.  I don't know if the change was intentional, so
I'm cross-posting.  MPICH developers: a shell script containing multiple
mpiexec commands no longer makes it past the first one.  Apparently one
now needs to set stdin to /dev/null to continue.

$ cat t.sh
#!/bin/sh

$MPIEXEC -n 1 hostname
$MPIEXEC -n 1 date

## MPICH-3.1b1 (also 3.0 series), "date" output not printed
$ MPIEXEC=/opt/mpich/bin/mpiexec ./t.sh &
[5] 29761
$ batura

[5]+  Stopped                 MPIEXEC=/opt/mpich/bin/mpiexec ./t.sh

## Open MPI - note that "date" output is printed
$ MPIEXEC=/usr/bin/mpiexec ./t.sh &
[6] 29780
$ batura
Sun Feb  9 14:12:35 MST 2014

[6]   Done                    MPIEXEC=/usr/bin/mpiexec ./t.sh