[mpich-discuss] MPICH under torque - adding new nodes

Balaji, Pavan balaji at anl.gov
Thu Feb 20 18:33:55 CST 2014

I thought I responded to this email (it’s in my sent folder), but it never
showed up on the mailing list.  Here it is again:

Hello,

Yes, you can use the info argument “hosts” to specify nodes that are not a
part of the original PBS job.

  — Pavan

On 2/20/14, 4:36 PM, "Suraj Prabhakaran" <suraj.prabhakaran at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thats an extension we have made. We hope to release it soon!
>
>Best,
>Suraj
>

>On Feb 20, 2014, at 10:42 PM, Reuti wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 20.02.2014 um 18:10 schrieb Suraj Prabhakaran:
>>
>>> I want use MPICH under the Torque RMS. I can see that mpiexec will
>>>automatically take the nodefile from $PBS_NODEFILE.
>>> I am working on dynamically adding nodes to an existing job in torque.
>>>So there might be a point where the job actually has more number of
>>>nodes than what was listed in $PBS_NODEFILE.
>>
>> How do you tell Torque that it should increase the number of granted
>>slots/nodes for a particular already running job?
>>
>> -- Reuti
>>

>>> Is it possible to do an MPI_Comm_spawn on these new nodes (which is
>>>not listed in PBS_NODEFILE but is actually a part of job)? For example
>>>using some info argument such as add-host or something? Or if it
>>>entails that the PBS_NODEFILE must be changed with the newly added
>>>nodes, I can do that too.
>>> But the basic question is, can MPICH spawn processes on these newly
>>>allocated nodes for the same job through some mechanism?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Suraj