[mpich-discuss] Error "hydra requires VA_ARGS support", RHEL 5.10, icc

Balaji, Pavan balaji at anl.gov
Thu Feb 27 00:59:53 CST 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:35 AM, Бакиров, Медер <bakirov at almetico.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Lu, Huiwei <huiweilu at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> Could you please try to compile MPICH-3.1 with less flags? For example,
>> export CFLAGS='-O3'
>> export CXXFLAGS='-O3'
>> export FFLAGS='-O3'
>
> With these flags MPICH-3.1 compiles without any errors.
>
> I also played with flags, and found a problem flag ('-static-intel'),
> which leads to compilation errors. Is there a possible workaround, I
> can apply, to successfully compile MPICH-3.1 with full flags,
> including '-static-intel’?

Looks like -static-intel throws warnings sometimes that mpich does not like:

% icc -static-intel test.c
icc: warning #10237: -lcilkrts linked in dynamically, static library not available

Maybe we are being too cautious here with disabling VA_ARGS if the compiler throws warnings.  A better model might be to disable VA_ARGS only if the compiler is throwing additional warnings compared to the case when VA_ARGS is not used.  The attached patch should improve this, but to try it out you’ll need to download the latest autoconf, automake and libtool, and run ./autogen.sh in the top-level directory before running configure.

Alternatively, you can wait till this is reviewed internally and committed to mpich/master.  Then it’ll show up in the nightly “release-like” tarballs.

  — Pavan