[mpich-discuss] Can't receive messages

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 13:54:58 CST 2014

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 1:19 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Configure figures these out already and can write them to a file as part of installation. Are type sizes not encoded in datatypes #define anyways?
>
> You want me to detect where the mpich installation is?  The process manager is separate from the mpich installation.  It can be installed separately, and at a different location.  It has no idea where mpich is installed, or even if it’s mpich that it is interacting with.

Let us assume the common case where "which mpiexec" tells you where
MPI is installed.

> Also, you want me to write things to a file and read them from all over the place?  Also, note that type sizes are not all.  You need the datatype layout as well.

Can this not be generated as part of the build process and thus be
installed withe everything else.  Does the MPICH ABI standardization
effort not give you something to lean on w.r.t. datatype layout
homogeneity?

> Finally, suppose we run a program to generate this file.  How do we ship it around?  Scp?  stdout?

I'll say scp, but I don't have an opinion because I don't think that
shipping a file between two hosts is that difficult compared to firing
up MPI programs, which is what the user is ultimately trying to do.

> This solution is gross beyond imagination.  I’m not going to debate about it.

I accept that you do not want to do it, but I don't accept the
argument that it is impossible.

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com