[mpich-discuss] MPICH 3.1.1 on NI MyRIO, error at ar interface

"Antonio J. Peña" apenya at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 11 12:07:11 CDT 2014

Hi Kyle,

Unfortunately that archiver seems to lack the functionality needed to
compile MPICH with our current build interface. I've been trying to play
around that issue but so far I haven't been able to find a good solution
without the "r" flag. However, to the best of my knowledge we have
positive reports of people compiling MPICH in busy box. Maybe someone
else in this list can give you a hint on that.

   Antonio

On 07/10/2014 10:45 PM, Kyle Hartley wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm trying to install MPICH on a set of National Instruments myRIOs.
> They run the angstrom kernel. Currently when I run the configuration
> for the build it errors at the AR interface because the ar function is
> missing -r for replacement in archives. This is a busy box
> implementation of ar. It doesn't look like busy box has a new
> implementation. So i'm looking at two options avoiding the archiver if
> that is an option or download a new ar function. The myRIO uses a
> armv7a processor.
>
> Can I get by with disabling the archiver interface? skiming readme
> looks like no option to do so
> Can I disable the check on the archiver interface with --disable-ar
> interface?
> Another ar function?
> Snippet of config.log below
>
> configure:6603: checking whether to enable maintainer-specific
> portions of Makefiles
> configure:6612: result: yes
> configure:6676: checking for ar
> configure:6692: found /usr/bin/ar
> configure:6703: result: ar
> configure:6729: checking the archiver (ar) interface
> configure:6745: gcc -c     conftest.c >&5
> configure:6745: $? = 0
> configure:6747: ar cru libconftest.a conftest.o >&5
> ar: invalid option -- 'r'
> BusyBox v1.19.4 (2013-06-20 07:58:10 CDT) multi-call binary.
>
> Usage: ar [-o] [-v] [-p] [-t] [-x] ARCHIVE FILES
>
> configure:6750: $? = 1
> configure:6756: ar -NOLOGO -OUT:conftest.lib conftest.o >&5
> ar: invalid option -- 'N'
> BusyBox v1.19.4 (2013-06-20 07:58:10 CDT) multi-call binary.
>
> Usage: ar [-o] [-v] [-p] [-t] [-x] ARCHIVE FILES
>
> configure:6759: $? = 1
> configure:6778: result: unknown
> configure:6794: error: could not determine ar interface
>
> ## ---------------- ##
> ## Cache variables. ##
>
> ac_cv_c_compiler_gnu=yes

Antonio J. Peña
Postdoctoral Appointee
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 South Cass Avenue, Bldg. 240, Of. 3148
Argonne, IL 60439-4847
apenya at mcs.anl.gov
www.mcs.anl.gov/~apenya