[mpich-discuss] Cluster with uneven CPU speeds

Ron Palmer ron.palmer at pgcgroup.com.au
Thu Jun 5 19:42:50 CDT 2014

I have a small cluster of computers with uneven clock speed CPUs and
currently I am running with "-np" == total number of cores. However, it
appears as if the fastest computer has to wait for the slower ones to
finish at the end (at least I believe so). The most recent process took
65 hours so I am interested in finding ways to optimise the process.

Is it possible to, say, use a larger "-np" and then increase the thread
number for the faster CPUs in the machine file to make the faster
computers do more work so, ideally, they all finish about the same time?
Will it finish off the first batch then start on the next batch? Or,
will the faster computers just get more concurrent jobs, possibly
slowing down the processing?

eg, if the single CPU of PC_A has twice the clock rating to that of
single CPU PC_B, and both has quad cores, then use -np=12 and then have
the following in the machinefile:
PC_A:8
PC_B:4

Perhaps this is something better addressed with job scheduling software
like GridEngine? Reuti?

Thanks,
Ron

--