[mpich-discuss] MPICH 3.1.1 and MPI_*_c2f

Chris January chris.january at allinea.com
Thu Jun 26 05:00:39 CDT 2014

Hello all,

I noticed that MPICH 3.1.1 changed which libraries symbols go in. The
MPI_*_c2f functions are no longer available to source files compiled
with mpicc and mpicxx (unless you explicitly add -lmpifort).

In our opinion the MPI_*_c2f and MPI_* symbols should be available from
all compiler drivers (mpicc, mpicxx, mpif77, mpif90, etc.) without the
need to explicitly add -lmpifort. Since they are used to convert values
between C and Fortran and vice versa it is natural that one would want
to use them from both languages.

Existing code which assumes, I believe quite reasonably, that MPI_*_c2f,
etc. can be used from mpicc with no extra effort fails to compile with
MPICH 3.1.1. I think this is a regression which should be fixed.

Yours,
Chris January - VP Engineering - Allinea Software Ltd.