[mpich-discuss] Problems with running make

Ron Palmer ron.palmer at pgcgroup.com.au
Sun Mar 2 06:20:18 CST 2014

Gus, Reuti, Rajeev and others,
I do have mpif77 and mpif90 in mpi/bin, so I conclude that it has
compiled ok.

I have checked reuti's suggestions, indicating that the environment is
ok. I had added 'PATH=/my/mpi/bin:$PATH' to each of the .bashrc files
(for the user I am running on all three)

I am using the same username on all three computers - is that ok?

I have installed MPI on to a NFS drive, all accessing the same; 'which'
confirms. Are there any libraries that needs to be installed elsewhere?
do  need to run make install as root?

I have added the 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/my/mpi/lib',
though made no difference. (should those "{" and "}" be included? I
entered it exactly like I have typed)

I have mpicc the cpi program as suggested by Gus and tried it, as well
as the originally provided cpi (part of the downloaded mpi) which I
called cpi_orig, see the screen shot below. It looks like there is an
issue with libgfortran.so.3... Perhaps I have not got the various
compilers installed correctly? I would appreciate if someone could give
me a suggestion on how to properly remove and re-install these (and
select the correct ones).

By the way, in the runs of cpi below, I reduced the number of cores to
be used on the first pc listed in the machinefile, from 8 to 4, in the
case there was an issue with the 9th one. As can be seen, it is the
first node (or core) on a remote computer where the problems start to be
listed which is node 5 in this case...

If I run cpi on only one computer, it works. And yes, hostname works
even if all computers are included in the machinefile.

Clear as mud, hey?

Thanks for your help.

Ron