[mpich-discuss] Problems with running make

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 3 17:49:43 CST 2014

Hi Ron

On 03/03/2014 06:19 PM, Ron Palmer wrote:
> Reuti, good comment about primary interface for mpi and secondary for
> the rest of the world.
>
> Yes, setting it up from scratch, and I would love a queuing system as
> well, I just had no idea such existed (learning by the minute!). These
> computers are dedicated to this parallelisation jobs I am running and
> will not run anything else. Would you be able to point my nose in a
> direction of a simple queuing system?

In the open source / free software world:

I use Torque+Maui:

http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/products/open-source/torque/
http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/products/open-source/maui/

Another very popular queuing system is the Sun Grid Engine (maybe this
is what Reuti uses?), which I think became the Open Grid Scheduler.
Better ask somebody else (Reuti maybe) about this one.

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

Yet a third one is LLNL's Slurm:

https://computing.llnl.gov/linux/slurm/

> All my parallel processing are controlled by my own perl scripts and
> commandline commands (provided binaries), nothing GUI at all (which is
> kinda nice).
>
> Do you think shutting down the xserver would make any difference to the
> performance of these computers? I am pretty sure that they al have a
> windows manager running by default... I only got them going last week so
> I have not (yet) gone in to this level of detail.

If you are sure nobody will ever want to run Matlab,
or to show a graph with gnuplot, or perhaps more likely, use a graphical
debugger such as DDD (or the equivalent from Intel or PGI), you can live
without X-windows.

I don't see it as a big burden, though, unless there is somebody doing
heavy GUI stuff while other computation is going on concurrently.

You could simply start the computers at runlevel 3.

**

OK, this is now more about cluster then about MPICH specifically.  :)

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa