[mpich-discuss] Increasing MPI ranks

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Mar 12 17:15:34 CDT 2014

Jeffrey Larson <jmlarson at anl.gov> writes:

> I am trying to have a single master, with a group of workers who are
> themselves calculating function values. The evaluation of the function may
> itself involve spawning MPI tasks.

How are you running the cpi test then?  I ran it with many spawned
processes

  MPI.COMM_SELF.Spawn(cmd, None, 30)

and with one spawned process on each of many masters.  Neither crashed
with current MPICH or Open MPI.  What exactly is needed to reproduce the
failure you see?

I am curious why you want all this process spawning (there are lots of
sharp edges to deploying this approach), but mpi4py should work.