[mpich-discuss] MPI_Iprobe bug in MPICH for BGQ?

Isaila, Florin D. fisaila at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 20 16:20:18 CST 2014

Hi,

when I run the program from below on 1 node on BGQ (Vesta), the message is not received (flag is 0). However on a Ubuntu, the message is received (flag is non-zero).

If I add another Iprobe (uncomment the Iprobe in the code below) the message is received on both BGQ and Ubuntu. Note that the program sleeps for 1 second after the Isend. Is it a bug?

This happens for both MPICH-3.1.3 and MPICH-3.1.

#include "mpi.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  int send_int, recv_int, tag, flag;
  MPI_Status status;
  MPI_Request req;

  MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);

  tag = 0;
  send_int = 100;
  MPI_Isend(&send_int, 1, MPI_INT, 0, tag, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &req );
  sleep(1);

  MPI_Iprobe(MPI_ANY_SOURCE , MPI_ANY_TAG, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &flag, &status );
  //MPI_Iprobe(MPI_ANY_SOURCE , tag, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &flag, &status );
  if (flag) {
    MPI_Recv( &recv_int, 1, MPI_INT, MPI_ANY_SOURCE, tag, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &status);
    printf("Received = %d\n", recv_int);
  }
  else
    printf("Message not received yet");

  MPI_Waitall(1, &req, MPI_STATUSES_IGNORE);

  MPI_Finalize();
  return 0;
}

Thanks