[mpich-discuss] Bug: Adio 2GB Read/Write Size Limits

Sean Delaney Sean.Delaney at tullowoil.com
Wed Oct 29 04:10:50 CDT 2014

Hi,

There seems to be a bug in ‘mpi/romio/adio’, relating to ‘buf_idx[]’ and associated variables, which are 32-bit signed integer arrays (or pointers to suitable allocations). As mentioned in the code comments, this type limits the size of the user’s arrays to 2GB.

Recent fixes in other areas of mpich (e.g. trac issue 2010) have facilitated individual IO calls accessing >2GB of data. (In my case, this involved a large ‘MPI_Type_indexed’ file view.) Unfortunately, those fixes have exposed this limitation in adio.

I briefly tried fixing this, but the changes grew beyond my available time.

Regards, and thanks for the excellent work to date,

Sean