[mpich-discuss] Re : MPI process killed and SIGUSR1

Roy, Hirak Hirak_Roy at mentor.com
Mon Oct 20 23:07:15 CDT 2014

Hi Wesley,

So if I do the following from the server side :

MPI_Irecv (&buf, 1, MPI_INT, 0, MPI_TAG_SANITY, clientCom, &req);

MPI_Wait(&req, &stat);

Now the client is killed. However, the wait does not terminate.

Thanks,

Hirak

It's not guaranteed that you will receive an error from a send (of any kind other than ssend). The reason is that the implementation can buffer the message internally and return to the application before the message is actually transferred. You will definitely receive an error related to any kind of receive, but sends are less reliable in that sense.

Thanks,

Wesley

Hi Wesley,

Suppose my server-client connection is setup using MPI_Comm_accept/MPI_Comm_connect.

Now one of the clients dies.

If the server sends a non-blocking message to the dead client by MPI_Isend, will MPI_Wait guaranteed to return Error code?

Thanks,

Hirak