[mpich-discuss] Specifying a timeout for MPI_Comm_Accept

Balaji, Pavan balaji at anl.gov
Sat Sep 6 17:53:58 CDT 2014

Hirak,

The function definitions for MPI_Comm_accept, etc., are a part of the MPI standard.  We cannot change them in MPICH without changing them in the MPI standard first.  Changes to the MPI standard go through the MPI Forum, and through a formal proposal and voting process before they get in.

FWIW, both a timeout model and a nonblocking connect/accept have been proposed in the past, but they were both voted down.  The nonblocking connect/accept proposal was originally done by Josh Hursey (http://www.cs.uwlax.edu/~jjhursey/), but I’m planning to revive the ticket but more broadly asking for nonblocking variants for many other operations as well.  It’s unclear if/when this will get in, but we can try.

The timeout proposal was put together by Jeff Squyres @ Cisco and Fab Tillier @ Microsoft (they are both on this list).  I personally thought it was a very elegant proposal, but it was voted down because there was no use case for it at the time, particularly given that there was no standardized fault model in MPI.  Once the Fault Tolerance working group gets its proposal in, there might be room to revisit this.  But you’ll need to talk to the above mentioned guys to see if they are planning to revive it.

Hope that helps.

  — Pavan

On Sep 6, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Roy, Hirak <Hirak_Roy at mentor.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The thread at the end of my email, shows that there is no way we can specify a timeout in MPI_Comm_accept/connect.
> Since the thread is pretty old (2007), I would like to know if there is any development related to this or not?
>
> If we still can not specify a timeout, is there any provision of non-blocking accept/connect ?
>
> Thanks,
> Hirak
>

> https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/mpich-discuss/2007-April/002159.html

Pavan Balaji  ✉️