[mpich-discuss] cross compiling using mpich

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 21:58:18 CDT 2015

On Thursday, April 16, 2015, Rob Latham <robl at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On 04/16/2015 08:33 AM, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>
>> https://wiki.mpich.org/mpich/index.php/Frequently_Asked_
>> Questions#Q:_Why_can.27t_I_build_MPICH_on_Windows_anymore.3F
>>

> well jeff since you unhelpfully replied to this poor guy with a link to
> the wiki that he already got last week, allow me to be pedantic for a
> moment:  he's not building mpich *on* windows.  he's building mpich *for*
> windows.  *On* linux.

Is the FAQ precise that building on Windows is the problem, as opposed to
building for Windows? Because I have to believe the issues cannot be
separated. What compiler executes on Linux that can generate Windows
executables? That doesn't even seem remotely feasible, particularly if any
header in MPICH is included from a sub directory, since the slashes will be
wrong on a Linux file system.

I stand by my redundant response unless someone can explain the theory of
how it would work.

Jeff

>  On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:37 AM, mapalo92 . <mapalo2008 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> my target is windows and my host is linux

> Rob Latham
> Mathematics and Computer Science Division
> Argonne National Lab, IL USA

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/