[mpich-discuss] Fortran 2008 compatibility of mpif.h and mpiof.h: Suggested fix

Martin Diehl m.diehl at mpie.de
Thu Aug 13 00:59:07 CDT 2015

Dear MPICH maintainers,

when I try to compile my Fortran application in strict 2008 standard and
include mpif.h, I'll get an error or a warning from both, the GNU and
the Intel Fortran compiler, complaining about the declaration of some
datatypes

When invoking gfortran with -std=f2008ts, the complaints are:

Error: GNU Extension: Nonstandard type declaration INTEGER*8 at (1)
Warning: Obsolescent feature: Old-style character length at (1)

and for ifort with -stand f08, I'll get :

warning #6916: Fortran 2008 does not allow this length specification.
[8]
The CHARACTER* form of a CHARACTER declaration is an obsolescent feature
in Fortran 2008.

According to http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Modernizing+Old
+Fortran, this can be solved by the following changes in  mpif.h and
mpiof.h:

diff mpif.h mpif.h_new
16,17c16,17
<        CHARACTER*1 MPI_ARGVS_NULL(1,1)
<        CHARACTER*1 MPI_ARGV_NULL(1)
---
>        CHARACTER(len=1) MPI_ARGVS_NULL(1,1)
>        CHARACTER(len=1) MPI_ARGV_NULL(1)
528c528
<        integer*8 MPI_DISPLACEMENT_CURRENT
---
>        integer(kind=8) MPI_DISPLACEMENT_CURRENT
546,547c546,547
<        REAL*8 MPI_WTIME, MPI_WTICK
<        REAL*8 PMPI_WTIME, PMPI_WTICK
---
>        REAL(kind=8) MPI_WTIME, MPI_WTICK
>        REAL(kind=8) PMPI_WTIME, PMPI_WTICK

diff mpiof.h mpiof.h_new
29c29
<       integer*8 MPI_DISPLACEMENT_CURRENT
---
>       integer(kind=8) MPI_DISPLACEMENT_CURRENT

Please find the modified files attached.

best regards
Martin Diehl

Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung GmbH
Max-Planck-Straße 1
D-40237 Düsseldorf

Handelsregister B 2533
Amtsgericht Düsseldorf

Geschäftsführung
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Dehm
Prof. Dr. Jörg Neugebauer
Prof. Dr. Dierk Raabe
Dr. Kai de Weldige

Ust.-Id.-Nr.: DE 11 93 58 514
Steuernummer: 105 5891 1000

Please consider that invitations and e-mails of our institute are only
valid if they end with …@mpie.de.
If you are not sure of the validity please contact rco at mpie.de

Bitte beachten Sie, dass Einladungen zu Veranstaltungen und E-Mails aus
unserem Haus nur mit der Endung …@mpie.de gültig sind.
In Zweifelsfällen wenden Sie sich bitte an rco at mpie.de