[mpich-discuss] MPE animation crash

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 14 11:22:43 CST 2015

On 12/09/2015 09:18 AM, Schilling, Herbert W. (GRC-VE00) wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   First of all, thanks again to everyone, especially Bill Gropp, for
> modifying MPE so it works with OpenMPI.
>
>   I did see a post somewhere about how the MPE animation code hasn't
> been updated in a while. Is it still something that should be good to
> use? It's a nice feature!
>
>   In our code, it works for a while and then crashes with this

sorry you're running into problems with the MPE animation code. As
you've seen, every once in a while one of us (probably Bill) will go in
and clean up MPE, but for the most part it's community supported.

If you code up a fix, we'll gladly add it to MPE.

[ snip error]

> What is really odd is that one I ran the exact same code with the exact
> same command and it died much earlier while doing some kind of memory
> allocation. Unfortunately, I didn't capture that error and I can't make
> it happen again now.

such is the case with memory errors.  A tool like valgrind can tell you
what's going on.

> Also, without digging through the code to figure out how the animations
> are being displayed, is there any documentation on that?

Appendix C of "Using MPI" might be the best overview.  The book also
walks through a simnple monte carlo example in section 3.10 on page 65.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA