[mpich-discuss] MPICH issue when running jobs in background

Roy, Hirak Hirak_Roy at mentor.com
Mon Jun 8 23:04:55 CDT 2015

Dear MPICH team,

Waiting for your response.

Thanks,
Hirak

From: Roy, Hirak
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 1:08 PM
To: discuss at mpich.org
Subject: MPICH issue when running jobs in background

Hi Team,

I am using MPICH 3.0.4.
My top level script invokes a 'batch script' in background and then runs my mpi-program using mpiexec.
I run this top-level script in background mode ( please check details later).
It seems once I invoke the mpiexec, my batch-script execution is suspended.
I tried OpenMPI and they do not have the issue.

I have attached 3 files.

1>    run.sh : run script to run the top-level program

2>    background.sh : invoked from run.sh as a background job. Just prints something on a while loop

3>    myprog.c : simple MPI program which just waits on a loop

Compile step : mpicc myprog.c --> a.out

#! /bin/bash
./background.sh &
mpiexec  -n 1 ./a.out

To reproduce :
Shell >> ./run.sh &
Shell >> jobs
[1]  + Suspended (tty input)         ./run.sh

Here the background.sh is suspended. However,  a.out keeps running.
If I change the script so that mpiexec takes input from /dev/null, then the issue is resolved.

#! /bin/bash
./background.sh &
mpiexec  -n 1 ./a.out  < /dev/null

It seems to be a MPICH specific issue.
Could you please have a look and file a bug for this.

Thanks,
Hirak