[mpich-discuss] Using MPIX_Comm_shrink on intercommunicator

Maciej Szpindler m.szpindler at icm.edu.pl
Wed Mar 18 08:40:59 CDT 2015

Dear All,

I am trying to use ULFM functions implemented in MPICH. I am aware that
these extensions are still just (?) experimental and not a part of the
standard. Nevertheless I have tried to use MPIX_Comm_shrink, in a way
described here:

https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/raw-attachment/ticket/323/ft.pdf

on the intercommunicator that contains failed processes in the remote
group. The function fails with:

Assertion failed in file src/mpi/comm/comm_create_group.c at line 47:
comm_ptr->comm_kind == MPID_INTRACOMM

I am working with MPICH v3.2a2. May I ask for a comment on this?
Is this the behaviour that should be expected?

Best Regards,
Maciej