[mpich-discuss] mpich 3 shared libraries install

John Hancock jhancock1975 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 09:47:38 CST 2015

I am making a suggestion about an addition to the installation guide.

We may want to include some instructions on how to update one's system to
use new libraries created as part of the compilation process.

The mpich 3.1.4 install guide suggests readers may want to run the
configure script with a prefix option.

After installing mpich, I ran the pmandel example program. It terminated
with the following error message, "error while loading shared libraries:
libmpi.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory."

We found it necessary to update all nodes to use the new libraries created
during compilation.

We needed to add a file to the ld.so.conf.d directory with one line in it
containing the path to mpich libraries.  The path to the mpich libraries is
<<prefix>>/lib, where <<prefix>> is the prefix used in the configure phase
of the installation process. We added this file to all nodes.

In addition, we needed to run the ldconfig command on all nodes to make the
system fully aware of the new libraries.

After that, we were able to successfully run the pmandel program.

We may want to include some language in the install guide that informs the
reader that it may be necessary to take similar steps to complete the
installation process.

-John