[mpich-discuss] Fix for problems with mpich-3.1.4 and slurm-14.11

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu May 28 22:44:03 CDT 2015

I tried a quite a few variations on ubuntu's slurm, slurm-14.11.7, and
numerous build options for mpich.

Turns out the ubuntu incompatibility with mpich is because in /etc/hosts
the hostname typically resolves to 127.0.1.1.  Thus when hydra grabs IPs
for both hosts it ends up with the wrong IP.

If I remove the line in /etc/hosts with the hostname and 127.0.1.1 it
just works.  Might be worth having mpich warn about using a 127.0.1.1
IP, at least when using more than one node.  I poured over the verbose
logs and hydra debug logs without noticing the problem.

OpenMPI doesn't have this problem for whatever reason.