[mpich-discuss] Killing mpiexec.hydra process

Cayanan, Michael D (398G) michael.d.cayanan at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon May 11 12:04:40 CDT 2015

Hi,

I'm running the mpiexec.hydra command within a script and there are cases where I need to kill this process.

Our application is designed to issue a "pkill -P <process id>" command, where the "process id" is the id of the script. Nominally, the pkill command is designed to kill the parent and all of its children. However,
in this case, it turns out that the script and the parent mpiexec.hydra processes are killed, but the children processes that are spawned by the mpiexec.hydra processes are left running. This is because
all of those children are parents of the mpiexec.hydra process.

Example:

Process 1: <script command to launch the mpiexec.hydra command>
Process 2 (Parent 1): mpiexec.hydra command
Process 3 (Parent 2): Child mpiexec.hydra process
Process 4 (Parent 2): Child mpiexec.hydra process
Process 5 (Parent 2): Child mpiexec.hydra process

%> pkill -P 1

Processes 1 and 2 are killed, but Processes 3, 4, and 5 are left running.

I've done some online research and it looks like there is a utility called "mpicleanup". Has anybody used this tool and is it intended to kill an mpiexec.hydra process and all its children in a single command?
If not, what is the best way to kill the mpiexec.hydra process?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mike