[mpich-discuss] Shared Memory Segfaults

Brian Cornille bcornille at wisc.edu
Mon May 4 10:20:03 CDT 2015

Jeff,

I agree that the code I supplied has no interesting parallelism.  That code was simply an attempt to diagnose or replicated an error I was getting with a more complicated code which also had shared memory structures pointing to other shared memory structures.  The linked list was just a quick example of a similar structure to test what the issue could be.  It ended up having very similar error behavior as the original program so I thought I would share it instead of a more complicated project.  For the project I was working on I wanted to create large shared memory structures that would be read-only once the initial set-up was done.  Some of these shared memory structures were to have shared memory structures allocated within them, which appeared to generate the errors I was encountering.  If you are interested in the original code that produced these errors it is posted at:
https://github.com/bcornille/mpi-shared-ne506/tree/develop/src (mostly in geoms.c)
There are likely ways that I could change the structure of the code to work around this problem, but I was hoping to try to understand what was causing the very strange errors that I produced.
I encountered errors when I tried to make assignments to shared memory regions that were pointed to from other shared memory regions.  I am hoping that the error in the code I provided is the mirror image of the error in my original code.

Thanks and best,
Brian Cornille