[mpich-discuss] MPI_Allreduce is slow for 7 processes or more

David Froger david.froger.ml at mailoo.org
Mon May 4 02:35:43 CDT 2015

Hello,

I've written a little MPI_Allreduce benchmarks [0].

The results with MPICH 1.4.1 [1] and Open MPI 1.8.4 [2] (1 column for the
number of processors, and 1 columns for the corresponding wall clock time) show
that clock time is half with twice processors.

But with `MPICH 3.1.4`, the wall clock time increase for 7, 8 or more processes [3].

In my real code and for all of the 3 above MPI implementation, I observe the
same problem for 7, 8 or more processes, while I expect my code to be scallable
to at least 8 or 16 processes.

So I'm trying to understand what could happen with the little benchmark and
MPICH 3.1.4?

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,
David