[mpich-discuss] MPICH symmetric mode execution on Xeon Phi

mahdiyeh ghazi mahdiyeh.ghazi67 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:43:54 CDT 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to use MPICH to run a code in symmetric mode on Xeon Phi. First,
I installed MPICH-3.1.4 with the following configuration for Xeon Phi:

./configure --prefix=/opt/new-mpich/mpich-3.1.4/1 --with-device=ch3:nemesis
--host=x86_64 --build=x86_64-k1om-linux  CC=icc CXX=icpc --disable-f77
--disable-fc CFLAGS=-mmic CXXFLAGS=-mmic --disable-mcast --disable-fortran
LDFLAGS='-L/home/ghazim/build/aster/intel/composer_xe_2015.3.187/compiler/lib/mic/
-Wl,-rpath,/home/ghazim/build/aster/intel/composer_xe_2015.3.187/compiler/lib/mic/'

With this configuration, I could successfully run a code in native mode on
Xeon Phi. In order to run the code in symmetric mode, I installed MPICH
once again, this time for the host with following configuration:

./configure --prefix=/opt/new-mpich-host/mpich-3.1.4/1

Then I compiled the code two times, once with -mmic option to make
executable for Xeon Phi (from /opt/new-mpich/mpich-3.1.4/1) and once again
without -mmic option to make executable for the host (from
/opt/new-mpich-host/mpich-3.1.4/1). Now, my question is how I can run the
program with these two executable from Xeon Phi and the host.

I know that MPICH supports running parallel programs with different
executables with some devices like ch_p4, ch_mpl and globus2 using MPMD but
I don't know how I can use this feature to run the code in symmetric mode
on Xeon Phi and whether it is possible or not.

Thanks,
Mahdieh