[mpich-discuss] Can the MPICH job pause and resumed

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 08:18:19 CDT 2015

Nodes and cores are *hardware* concepts.  If you need to add hardware
resources to your job, that is a resource manager issue.  If you want to
create new MPI processes _that will run on those new nodes/cores_, you can
use MPI_Comm_spawn for that.

As for pausing a job, I'm not sure why you want to do that.  Are you trying
to suspect the job until the new hardware resources become available?

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 10:08 PM, wahi <wahi at sci.am> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thank you for your reply, I think the MPI_COMM_Spawn is for generating new
> processes but I need to add more node or cores after pausing the job, am I
> right ?
>

> On 10/08/2015 08:11 AM, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>
> See MPI_Comm_spawn(_multiple).
>
> Jeff
>
> On Wednesday, October 7, 2015, Zhao, Xin < <xinzhao3 at illinois.edu>
> xinzhao3 at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Wahi,
>>
>> Do you mean you want to change number of hosts during one MPI execution?
>> If so, we think that is not possible.
>>
>> Xin

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com