[mpich-discuss] BLCR linker option typo?

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:49:56 CDT 2015

Hi!

When building MPICH 3.1.4 with ./configure options
--enable-checkpointing --with-hydra-ckpointlib=blcr, as specified at:

https://wiki.mpich.org/mpich/index.php/Checkpointing

I'm get the error:

  CC       src/pmi/simple/lib_libmpi_la-simple_pmiutil.lo
  CC       src/pmi/simple/lib_libmpi_la-simple_pmi.lo
  GEN      lib/libmpi.la
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblcr
Makefile:16217: recipe for target 'lib/libmpi.la' failed
make[2]: *** [lib/libmpi.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/tmp.stowinstall.kvTp'
Makefile:40727: recipe for target 'install-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Looking at ./configure.ac, on line 5515, I find the string -lblcr.
Shoudn't that be -lcr. As far as I know, the BLCR shared library
filename is libcr.so, on my Debian system as well as in a BLCR RPM file
I found at pkgs.org.

The -lblcr string was introduced in configure.ac on GIT revision
51db1a05720c3d1a51eff58084a02b6b6c66e80f

http://trac.mpich.org/projects/mpich/changeset/51db1a05720c3d1a51eff58084a02b6b6c66e80f/configure.ac

If I change it to -lcr in configure.ac and run autoconf, I can build
successfully, and mpiexec.hydra ends up correctly linked to libcr.so.0.

I don't think I have an MPICH TRAC account, so I couldn't submit this as
a bug report.

Best regards,
Torquil Macdonald Sørensen