[mpich-discuss] Usage of MPICH_PORT_RANGE has no impact

Mark Bonnekessel bonnekessel at mailbox.org
Fri Sep 18 04:03:58 CDT 2015

Hi,

we want to setup a mpi-cluster with raspberry pis.
The mpi-process run in a docker-container. That’s why we need to configure the ports, that mpi uses.

We found the env flag MPI_PORT_RANGE / MPIEXEC_PORT_RANGE to configure the port range, that is used by mpi.
Our problem is, that this flag has no impact to the running mpi-process:

root at pi1:/mnt/docker# mpiexec -f machines  -env MPIEXC_PORT_RANGE 10000:10100 -n 2 ./mpi-hello
[proxy:0:1 at pi2] HYDU_sock_connect (utils/sock/sock.c:172): unable to connect from "pi2" to "pi1" (Connection refused)
[proxy:0:1 at pi2] main (pm/pmiserv/pmip.c:189): unable to connect to server pi1 at port 35994 (check for firewalls!)

We tried every other combination of mpirun/mipexec and MPICH_PORT_RANGE/ MPIEXEC_PORT_RANGE.

Is there any other configuration needed or something, that we are missing to specify the used ports for mpi?

Regards,
Mark