[mpich-discuss] mpi client/server : problem with mpich3

PEDRONO Annaig Annaig.Pedrono at imft.fr
Mon Sep 21 09:36:38 CDT 2015

Hello,

I am using MPI Client/Server features to couple 2 codes.
You can find a short example in attached file.
In the Makefile, mpif90 is the wrapper for mpich compiled with gfortran.

With mpich2, I manage to run a client/server case without any problem
with the following script :

mpirun -np 1 ./Serveur > Serveur.log &
sleep 5
mpirun -np 1 ./Client > gradym_client.log

and I am able to run many coupled simulations on the same computer.

With mpich3, the script above doesn't work any more. I have found
another way to run my coupled case in the mpich3 manual :

#/bin/csh
set hydraPID=`ps -u $USER | grep hydra_nameserve | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
kill -9  $hydraPID

/PRODCOM/Ubuntu12.04/hydra/3.1.4/intel-15.0/bin/hydra_nameserver &

mpiexec -hosts `hostname` -n 1 -nameserver `hostname` ./Serveur &

sleep 1

mpiexec -hosts `hostname` -n 1 -nameserver `hostname` ./Client

set hydraPID=`ps -u $USER | grep hydra_nameserve | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
echo $hydraPID
kill -9  $hydraPID

It is more complicated and I can only run one simulation by computer at
the same time because I can launch only one hydra server.
Do you know another way to run client/server simulation with mpich3?
What can I do to run many client server simulation on the same host?

Thanks a lot for your help.

A. Pedrono

Annaig PEDRONO
Institut de Mecanique des Fluides    Tel : (33) (0)5 34 32 29 06
Allee du Professeur Camille SOULA    Fax : (33) (0)5 34 32 28 99
31400 TOULOUSE, FRANCE               e-mail :annaig.pedrono at imft.fr