[mpich-discuss] MPICH2-1.4.1 on Windows Server, Issues Running on More than One Node

Joshua Moore jdmoore at ncsu.edu
Sun Apr 24 22:49:52 CDT 2016

Hello,

I am having issues running mpiexec when I run on more than one node.

I am using v 1.4.1 because it is compatible with LAMMPS software I am using.

I am running on Windows Server 2012r2 and trying to get MPICH2 to play nice
with Window's batch server.

I've installed mpich2 on each of the nodes and the head node.

1) *msiexec /i mpich2-1.2.1-win-ia32.msi*
*2) mpiexec -register (to register username and password)*
*3) smpd -install  (to start spmd server on **each of the nodes and the
head node)*
*4) On the head node, I've used smpd -sethosts hostname1 hostname2 ... to
add each of the hosts.  I haven't done this on the compute nodes.*

When I execute a job through Windows batch system through PowerShell, my
job executes but puts all of the executions on the same node.  So if for
example my nodes are 16 cores, and I ask for 32 cores, 32 separate
processes are run on the first node and none on the second, even though
Window's scheduler is allocated 2 nodes.

It's like mpiexec is ignoring the node list that the smpd hosts is setting.

I can use a machinefile with mpiexec and this will allow me to execute on
multiple nodes but it doesn't seem to follow the nodes that Windows
allocates in their batch server.

I should also add that when I try to request more than one node through
Window's batch server with -requestednodes "host1 host2" with new-hpcjob,
Windows tells me that I can't do this because I have zero cores available.
I can ask for only 1 node and up to the maximum number of cores and it is
ok with this.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Josh