[mpich-discuss] ssh-less MPI using docker exec?

Balaji, Pavan balaji at anl.gov
Mon Apr 4 12:03:20 CDT 2016

Christian,

Supporting a new launcher is fairly trivial in Hydra (mpich's process manager).  You'd need to create something similar to 'ssh' in here: http://git.mpich.org/mpich.git/tree/HEAD:/src/pm/hydra/tools/bootstrap/external

In fact, based on a google search, I found this:

https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/exec/

It looks like you can simply replace "ssh" with "docker exec" to get the required behavior?  If that is correct, can you try launching mpich this way:

% HYDRA_LAUNCHER_EXTRA_ARGS=exec mpiexec -hosts host1,host2 -launcher-exec 'docker' ./foo

  -- Pavan