[mpich-discuss] single node mpiio

Wei-keng Liao wkliao at eecs.northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 12 13:59:02 CST 2016

Hi, Rob,

I just want to clarify the locking behavior on Lustre (at least from my
understanding). The 3 independent I/O requests coming from the same compute
node will be considered by the Lustre as requests from the same client
(because I/O are system calls and all 3 processes run on the same OS).
Thus, no lock granting or revoking will occur within all processes in
the same node.

The three independent requests appear to run one after another is because
(as you explained) there is only one link from that node to the Lustre
system. This is probably the system behavior. Jialin, you might want to
verify this by writing a simple MPI program using POSIX write calls.

Wei-keng