[mpich-discuss] MPI I/O and Windows

Eric Chamberland Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
Tue Jan 12 11:17:33 CST 2016

Le 2016-01-12 10:46, Rob Latham a écrit :

> On 01/11/2016 10:13 AM, Eric Chamberland wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is it possible to have MPI code that uses MPI I/O functions works under
>> windows?
>>
>> Which version (package) of MPI can we try for that?
>
> definitely possible.  MS-MPI implements the MPI-IO routines as does
> Intel MPI.   I don't have any experience with parallel I/O on Windows,
> but I think you're going to find file system client support a bigger
> challenge than MPI-IO support.

:)

We are definitely binded to MPI I/O functions to read/write even in
sequential mode...  We are then happy to look for a zero lines of code
solution to support windows for our software...

Otherwise, we would have to implement all of

MPI_Get_address(x,y)
MPI_File_write_at(a,b,c,d,e,f)
MPI_File_read_at_all(a,b,c,d,e,f)
MPI_File_write_all_begin(a,b,c,d)
MPI_File_write_all_end(a,b,c)
MPI_File_write(a,b,c,d,e)
MPI_File_read_all_begin(a,b,c,d)
MPI_File_read_all_end(a,b,c)
MPI_FILE_delete
MPI_Info_set
MPI_Info_free
MPI_Info_create

to work in sequential, which is feasible too...

> I don't know what the consistency semantics of SMB/CFS are: when are
> writes from one client visible to another?

Can't tell... when I used windows for the last time I was so younger! :)

Thanks for the answer!

Eric