[mpich-discuss] MPI_Comm_connect issue

Roy, Hirak Hirak_Roy at mentor.com
Wed May 11 23:39:04 CDT 2016

Hi mpich team,

I am using MPICH 3.0.4 sock with dynamic connection (accept/connect).
I am facing issues with the following scenario, when there is a race condition in MPI_Comm_connect.

Here is the case

1>    Server opens a port, writes the port info in a file, calls MPI_Comm_accept

2>    Client1 & Client2 reads the port information from file and each client calls MPI_Comm_connect

3>    Server accepts one client, disconnects, closes the port, exit

4>    One of the client successfully connects, disconnects, exit

5>    The other client hangs in MPI_Comm_connect

If you do the following steps, you can reproduce the issue

1>    Please set compiler and installation path of MPICH in makefile

2>    make : compiles

3>    make run_bad

I have noticed that in case client calls MPI_Comm_connect after the port is closed, the connect calls successfully terminates with error (make run_good).

Please let me know whether it is a bug or not.
Please also let me know if the connect call can be configured with a timeout or not.

Thanks,
Hirak