[mpich-discuss] Can I force MPICH to use TCP communication within a node

Kevin Buckley kevin.buckley.ecs.vuw.ac.nz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 23:15:56 CST 2016

Apologies in advance, as this seems so basic that
I can't belive I can't find it in the docs, however, I
can't find it in the docs.

I have just built an MPICH 3.0.4 and have used it to compile
the SKaMPI test suite (all on an ArchLinux platform)

I can run the test suite with a

/path/to/mpirun -np 2 ./skampi -i ski/skampi_pt2pt.ski

and it works, however, it's clearly (?) using the SHM channel

[proxy:0:0 at host.do.ma.in] PMI response: cmd=get_result rc=0
msg=success value=(vector,(0,1,1))
[proxy:0:0 at host.do.ma.in] got pmi command (from 0): put
kvsname=kvs_12233_0 key=sharedFilename[0] value=/dev/shm/mpich_shar_tmpUq7v2w
[proxy:0:0 at host.do.ma.in] cached command:
sharedFilename[0]=/dev/shm/mpich_shar_tmpUq7v2w

I'm normally an OpenMPI man and I'd like to try and force
MPICH to use a TCP/IP "channel" along the lines of telling
OpenMPI to use a TCP/IP "trasnport" with a

-mca btl tcp,self

so, what's the MPICH incantation to achieve the same thing ?

Yours, clearly missing something obvious,
Kevin