[mpich-discuss] Communicator conundrum

Michael L. Stokes michael.stokes at uah.edu
Tue Aug 22 16:36:13 CDT 2017

I do apologize if this is going to the wrong group so please recommend
another group if inappropriate. I do see it as a possible implementation
issue.

I have a main program that spawns an MPI process A, and a second spawn
from main that spawns MPI process B.  What I need is to create a
communicator between processes A and B.  I don't see a way to do this
with the current implementation.

I do see a way to do this if the local_comm and the peer_comm arguments
in the MPI_Intercomm_create() function called in A and B could be the
parent_comm in both processes.  Since you can't use the same argument
for local_comm and peer_comm in the current implementation, I don't see
a path forward.

Am I missing something here?  Is there another way to create a comm
between A and B?

Thanks
Mike