[mpich-discuss] test failures on armhf architecture on Debian

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 10:14:57 CDT 2017

Those failures are in OpenPA, which is a separate component you can test by itself for convenience.

http://git.mpich.org/openpa.git/ is the official project source. You should try different implementations.  The GCC intrinsics should be portable but if they don't work, that's a bug either in the compiler or OpenPA.

The most portable OpenPA port uses Pthread locks. That's quite slow but should not fail. You may need to force that if the ARM assembly port and the GCC __sync intrinsics ones break.

I wrote a C11 port with
https://github.com/jeffhammond/OpenPA that has not been tested anywhere besides x86 but could be better if your compiler does a good job with C11.

It's trivial to make a __atomic or __c11 intrinsics port for GCC or Clang if that is necessary. Those should be more efficient on ARM than __sync intrinsics, if used properly.

My only programmable ARM system is an Adapteva Parallella board that hasn't been powered on in 3 years, so I'm not in a good position to test anything, but I'll hack on OpenPA if necessary.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone