[mpich-discuss] [MPICH users] Problems using MPICH instead of OpenMPI

Fischer lisa.fischer at zib.de
Tue Jan 31 02:16:17 CST 2017

Hi Ken,

thanks a lot for your help! I used the correct mpiexec, so that wasn´t
the problem.
I do not understand why, but I just changed my hostfile using the IP
addresses of the machines directly instead of the actual hostname and
that worked.
Do you know if this is the general case for MPICH or can this be caused
by some network settings or installation settings?
I am confused since using the hostname for OpenMPI worked just fine.

Thanks for your fast reply and help!
Lisa

Am 30.01.2017 um 16:27 schrieb Kenneth Raffenetti:
> One thing to be careful of is that you are not mixing an mpiexec from
> openmpi with an application linked with mpich. This can cause issues
> with processes being able to connect to each other, which is likely
> what is happening in your runs.
>
> Please double check that you are using the mpiexec from mpich.
>
> Ken
>
> On 01/28/2017 04:37 AM, lisa.fischer at zib.de wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I want to use MPICH instead of OpenMPI and have some difficulties.
>> Using OpenMPI worked fine.
>>
>> I run my program on two different machines and set the
>> MPICH_PORT_RANGE to
>> that of OpenMPI, but it seems like my program is running into a
>> deadlock.
>> Sometimes I do not get any error message and sometimes I get the
>> following:
>>
>> Assertion failed in file src/mpid/ch3/src/ch3u_handle_connection.c at
>> line
>> 325: vc->state == MPIDI_VC_STATE_ACTIVE
>> internal ABORT - process 0
>>
>> Do I need to change the port range of MPICH? Is there a function like
>> ompi_info to figure out the port range for MPICH as well?
>> Or do you think there is another problem? Do I need to set other
>> environment variables as well?
>>
>> The ssh connection on both machines works. I also used a test program
>> using only send and receive calls which led to the same problem.
>>
>> I would be very happy for any hints.
>>
>> Thank you and have a good weekend!
>> Lisa

Freundliche Grüße / Kind regards,
Lisa Fischer

Student Assistant
Computational Medicine
Numerical Mathematics
Mathematics for Life and Materials Sciences

Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für Informationstechnik Berlin
Takustraße 7
14195 Berlin-Dahlem
lisa.fischer at zib.de