[mpich-discuss] How to configure MPICH build to create linux x86 cross-compiler for ARM?

Alexander Rast alex.rast.technical at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 10:13:29 CDT 2017

Yes, I knew that mpicc isn't building its own compiler from the ground up.
I reckoned though that maybe since the --target option in normal builds
came closest to expressing the result I'm trying to achieve, maybe that's
what you needed to do. I'd tried the --host option as well before but that
errored when I tried to run mpicc.

What steps are needed to configure for Fortran? I tried setting several
CROSS_F77_xxx flags but then ended up with the uninformative error during
configure:

configure: error: '' is empty.

C cross-compilers would be adequate for early testing but the platform we
are building is going to amongst other things going to be compiling and
linking source files provided by external users, many of whom will
undoubtely be using Fortran so in the long run it's going to be essential
to have that cross-compiler available as well.