[mpich-discuss] How to configure MPICH build to create linux x86 cross-compiler for ARM?

Alexander Rast alex.rast.technical at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 10:00:10 CDT 2017

All,

I'm trying to build MPICH so that I can cross-compile MPI applications on
my x86_64-linux system to run on an arm-linux machine. I want to emphasise
that this is different from building a native ARM MPICH install that runs
on ARM itself; the intent is that an x86-linux 'root' process compiles ARM
MPI application binaries and distributes them to the ARM cores. I have a
separate build for compiling the MPI binaries that lie on the root x86
system. I tried running configure with --build=x86_64-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=arm-linux-gnueabi, but that didn't give me
what I need. If, meanwhile, I try to run mpicc off the native x86 build
(the MPICH installation used for running MPI applications on the root x86
system) it complains that the target type specified in the makefile (CFLAGS
= -march=armv8-a -mtune=cortex-a53) isn't supported. It's not clear how one
creates this sort of 'hybrid' build, running on one platform, compiling MPI
applications for another.